Day 15: I was so excited to put in a full day today but it stormed all through the night. When we arrived at the property to mark where the piers would be set we were met with a gigantic puddle.
I dug a trench to get it to drain to the lower portion, which worked well but there was so much water it didn’t look like it even drained at all. With more rain in the forecast we strung a tarp over the puddle to prevent it from getting any bigger.
Day 16: The property dried out quite a bit but still had some standing water on it. We took down the tarp and let the sun hit it. We ordered cinders (lava rock) today to try and make a pathway that’s not muddy but we got them too big I think. We laid down used shade cloth on the path to keep us from sinking in the mud. Hopefully I will find another use for the cinders because it wasn’t cheap.
I was able to mark the four corners where the posts will go. Which is 16′ by 16′. To make sure they are square you have to figure out the diagonal measurement which in this case 22′ 5/8″.
Day 17: We made a Home Depot run this morning to get pier blocks instead of making them ourselves. We were planning on borrowing a trailer but our hitch was too big.
The beater truck I bought shocks are shot so we couldn’t load them in it. I had called about getting delivery and was told it was $80. Which isn’t bad if I buy all the lumber at once. The island apparently has issues with theft especially when it comes to lumber. I don’t know if it’s as bad as everyone says but I don’t want to risk it by getting everything at once. Also plans change so frequently that it’s hard to do that anyway. However when I asked about deliveries in the store they said there was another $20 option for a normal pickup truck, same day delivery – total score!
The pier blocks are heavy, about 120lbs. Way too heavy for me to lift so we rented a dolly for $5 which was also a lifesaver. It took both me and my mom to position them in place. We still are working on getting them all squared and level. That’s going to take some time to get right.
Day 18: We got our pier blocks squared away. It took us was too long because we had the wrong diagonal dimension. Once we figured that out it went pretty quick. Most the day was spent trying to get them level and spaced evenly.
I have one in each corner 16′ apart and then 4′ in from each corner. Making 3 posts in each corner for a total of 12 posts.
Day 19: Well I’ve been going back and forth about lowering the stilts to 8′ instead of 12′. Everyone here has been trying to get me to go lower for the ease of building. I however want it IN the trees, the decision was making me sick. My mom and I were going over the pros and cons but when I stood the two different heights on the blocks I knew instantly that it needed be the taller one.
We used transit level to figure out the post heights since they vary slightly. We couldn’t get the generator started so we drove to my neighbor Gabrielle’s house and he let us borrow some electricity to get them cut. It was a long day but we got the posts up and sheeted. We have to put the 1/2″ sheeting up to protect against sway from wind.